Storing or organizing a ski or a snowboard is not an easy task, if you carelessly leave it lying around, it could lead to accidents. Unlike other things, skis come with sharp edges and a solid body that could hurt people if handled carelessly.
A ski rack is one of the most important accessories that you should buy if you love your ski and if you have more than one ski at your place. A ski rack is a simple organizer that comes with no complicated parts but proves very helpful in keeping you safe and also your ski. Most of the ski racks are designed to serve multiple functions. You could organize skis, helmets, snowboards, and necessary gears.
Best Buy Ski Rack Reviewed 2020
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Ski Rack Reviewed 2020
- #1. Ultrawall Ski Wall Rack
- #2. Rough Rack, Ski Rack
- #3. StoreYourBoard, Ski Rack
- #4. Koova Snow, Ski Rack
- #5. Pro Board Racks, Ski Racks
- #6. Wealers, Ski Rack
- #7. Wealers, heavy-duty Ski Rack
- #8. Insight Goods, Ski Rack
- #9. Sunix Ski Storage Rack
- #10. Odoland Ski Rack
- How To Choose The Best Ski Rack
- Ski Rack Frequently Asked Questions
Unlike most other racks, a ski rack comes in two main types, wall-mountable and vehicle roof mountable. Both of these ski racks have an entirely different design. While wall-mountable ski racks have a simple design, a vehicle roof mountable ski rack has a complicated design that ensures safety to both ski and Rack itself. We have compiled a buying guide below to help you purchase the best ski rack from the diverse market today. The products listed below are the ten best ski racks available today, feel free to buy anyone, and you will not regret it.
#1. Ultrawall Ski Wall Rack
Ultrawall is one of the reputed brands on the market today that has a legacy in selling top-quality racks. This ski rack is a top-rated product from this brand that boasts all the features and qualities that a ski rack should have. The brand name might make you feel odd, but the brand does not compromise on its quality.
This ski rack comes designed to hold up to 5 different skis, unlike other products on the market today. Ultrawall ski racks come with customizable spacing between each hook. Yes, the manufacturer offers the user an option to change the spacing between each hook based on the user’s requirement. One of the best things about this Rack is that it is easy to assemble and easy to install. Another important thing about this product is that the entire steel body is powder-coated for maximum resistance to corrosion, chipping, and cracking. Each hook that comes with this product is rubber-coated, which ensures the skis are free from scratches and also resistant to corrosion at the same time.
- Designed to hold up to 5 skis
- Comes with space attachments to adjust the space between each hook
- Easy to install and assemble
- Could handle up to 300 Lbs.
- Each hook is rubber coated for durability
- Rubber coated hooks leave the ski scratch-free
- Could be fixed on drywall or brick wall or concrete wall
- Nothing as such
#2. Rough Rack, Ski Rack
Rough Rack is one of the latest brands that has successfully manufactured and marketed good quality ski racks on the market today. Within a few years of launching, this ski rack from Rough Rack has gained positive reviews and, at the same time, good market dominance.
This ski rack comes designed in such a way that it could hold up t 8 different skis. However, it cannot hold snowboards, and you should not consider this product if you want to organize your snowboards only. The product comes with an overall length of 34-inches and 16 poles on the body to hold up to 8 skis. One of the notable things about this product is that it could hold skis that come in any shape. The manufacturer offers almost every hardware required to fix the Rack on the wall. Another thing about this product is that the entire body of this Rack is powder-coated for enhanced durability and resistance to extreme environmental phenomena.
- Designed to hold up to 8 skis or snowboards
- Easy to assemble and install
- Comes with almost all hardware required for installation
- Comes made in the USA
- Designed for both interior and exterior use
- Customizable spacing between each hook
- Could hold skis of any shape
- The manufacturer claims that this Rack could organize snowboards; however, few of the customers have reviewed that this product cannot hold snowboard.
#3. StoreYourBoard, Ski Rack
The brand StoreYourBoard has a legacy and reputation in marketing top-rated racks. This ski rack is only of their top-rated product. If compared to other brands, this ski rack comes with better quality and also good features.
This product comes designed in such a way that it could hold up to 10 different ski and snowboards. The entire ski rack comes made of steel, and the manufacturer has avoided using any other metal in constructing the frames of the Rack. The steel body is powder-coated for an enhanced lifespan. This ski rack has a patent-pending design that could handle up to 200 Lbs. One of the best things about this product is that it comes designed for holding powder skis, cross country skis, youth skis, twin-tip skis, and all-mountain skis. This Rack is easy to assemble and install.
- Designed to hold up to 10 skis
- Could handle up to 200 Lbs.
- Designed to hold almost any shape skis
- Easy to assemble and install
- Durable and sturdy design
- Patent pending design
- Few of the customers have reviewed the product to be incapable of holding ten skis, it can hold only 4 to 6 skis simultaneously.
#4. Koova Snow, Ski Rack
Like the brand mentioned above, Koova also manufactures and markets a diverse range of racks. Apart from this ski rack, it also has a reputation in marketing bike racks.
This ski rack is designed in such a way that it could handle up to 100 Lbs. and could hold up to 4 pairs of skis or snowboards. However, this Rack does not function well in holding snowboards. The entire product comes made of high-quality steel, and it is powder-coated for maximum lifespan and protects the skis from stains. The hooks incorporated into this product is fixed, but the manufacturer has provided good adequate spacing between each of them. One of the best things about this product is that the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on it. This ski rack is easy to install and easy to use.
- Could hold up to 4 pairs of skis
- Easy to install design
- Designed to put minimum stress on the skis
- Comes with almost every mounting hardware
- Has a lifetime warranty
- While removable hooks could be useful in some circumstances, this product does not have hooks fixed on the frame. Few of the customers have mentioned it to be a major drawback.
#5. Pro Board Racks, Ski Racks
The brand Pro Board Racks might be unfamiliar to most people; however, if you are looking for the best ski racks on the market, then you should not neglect this brand or product.
This ski rack comes designed for multipurpose use, yes, it could hold four pairs of ski and also three helmets or extra gear. One of the best things about this ski rack is that it could handle almost everything. This Rack could hold adult skis, racing skis, kids skis, powder skis, and tele skis. The Rack is made of strong baltic birch and comes with pre-drilled holes for fixing it on the wall. Yet another thing about this product is that the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on the product. The entire Rack comes made in Colorado, and the ski is easy to install.
- Made from high-quality strong baltic birch
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Designed to hold four skis and three accessories
- Very strong and durable
- Highly stable
- Made in Colorado
- Nothing as such
#6. Wealers, Ski Rack
Yet another ski rack from a reputed brand Wealers, while most of the brands on this list are unfamiliar to you. This brand might have crossed your path sometime.
This ski rack is designed to hold up to 2 pairs of skis; however, you cannot organize snowboards with this Rack. One of the best things about this Rack is that it is made of metal, and no other material is used. The entire product is weatherproof, and therefore, it could be used for both indoor and outdoor organizing purposes. Yet another thing about this product is that it is easy to assemble and easy to use. The feature that makes this product stand away from other ski racks is that apart from skis and snowboards, you could use this Rack for organizing shovels, rope, cords, etc.
- Made from high-quality metal
- No other material was used to make this Rack
- Designed to save maximum space
- Padded hooks
- Could hold up to 2 pairs of skis
- Powder coated for maximum resistance to weather conditions
- Designed for both indoor and outdoor use
- The number of skis that could be organized is limited to two pairs
#7. Wealers, heavy-duty Ski Rack
Unlike the above-listed Rack from Wealers, this ski rack is designed for heavy-duty, and it is one of the unique things about this product. If you are looking for a ski rack that comes at a reasonable price, do not neglect this product.
This ski rack is designed to hold up to 2 pairs of skis, and the entire Rack is metal of high-quality metal. The metal used to make the Rack is weatherproof, making it suitable for indoor and outdoor use. One of the best things about this product is that it has a space saver design, which helps save space on you all. This Rack is also available on four different variants based on the number of skis it could hold. If you love this product and need more capacity, then consider buying one of the options.
- Comes in 4 different variants based on the number of skis it could hold
- Durable and sturdy
- Made of a high-quality metal frame
- Could hold up to 2 pairs of skis
- Best for both indoor and outdoor use
- Padded hooks for grip and safety
- Designed for heavy-duty
- Reasonable price
- The manufacturer does not offer any warranty on this product
#8. Insight Goods, Ski Rack
Are you looking for a rack designed for all the purposes, then this product from Insight Goods is the best option for you. This Rack could organize your skis, brooms, ropes, shovels, etc.
Most commonly, people look for ski racks designed to organize ski only. However, if you are a person who wants something different, then, this product comes in a unique design. The entire product is made of high-quality metal, and it is powder-coated for maximum durability. This Rack could hold up to 4 pairs of skis and handle up to 100 Lbs. The spacing between each hook is limited to 1.5-inches, and it is suitable for almost all shape skis.
- Designed for multiple purposes
- Easy to assemble and install
- Suitable for drywall, wood, and studs
- Powder coated body
- Could hold up to 4 pairs of skis
- Could handle up to 100 Lbs.
- Few of the customers have reviewed the product to lack any looks or quality.
#9. Sunix Ski Storage Rack
Sunix might not be a well-known brand, but this ski rack from this brand is top-rated and one of the best racks available on the market. On the other hand, the price of this product is reasonable.
One of the best things about this ski rack is that it is made of high-quality metal. This ski rack can handle up to 200 Lbs. and each of the hooks can support up to 45 Lbs. The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on this product and also a 30-day money-back guarantee on this product. The hooks incorporated into this Rack is powder-coated for maximum durability.
- Could hold up to 5 pairs of skis
- 1 extra hook for extra baggage
- Each hook could handle 45 Lbs.
- 1-year warranty on the product
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Easy to install
- Few of the customers have reviewed this product to come with poor quality; it cannot hold more than five skis.
#10. Odoland Ski Rack
Odoland is one of the top-rated ski rack brands on the market today; this brand, apart from ski racks, has a diverse range of products, including resistance bands for exercise, lights, fans, etc. If you want an attractive and multipurpose rack, then this one is the best option for you.
This ski rack is designed to hold up to 5 pairs of skis and handle up to 300 Lbs. One of the best things about this product is that it is made of durable steel and it is powder-coated for enhanced lifespan. The hook incorporated into this product is designed in such a way that it does not make any scratches on the skis and, at the same time, could hold almost all types of skis. This product is designed in such a way that it is easy to assemble and fix on the wall.
- Could hold up to 5 pairs of skis
- Designed to handle up to 300 Lbs.
- Double hook design
- Easy to install
- Rubber-coated hook
- Scratch-resistant design
- The padding on the hooks wears away within a few month’s use.
How To Choose The Best Ski Rack
One of the crucial and key benefits of using a ski rack is that it could help to keep the interior of the car and home clean, and at the same time, save space. Apart from these benefits, you should also know that ski is dangerous as it comes from solid material and has sharp edges that could hurt people if left somewhere carelessly.
You are aware that skis are designed to withstand extreme conditions, which means storing or mounting a ski on a ski rack will not harm it. However, here are some of the keys factors that you should consider while purchasing a vehicle mountable ski rack.
- Type of ski rack based on design – Based on the overall layout, there are three types of ski racks. Every kind of ski rack is designed in such a way that it would protect your ski and also organize the ski to keep a low profile. Here is everything you need to know.
- General ski carrier – A ski carrier has the advantage of compactness, yes, if compared to all the other types of ski racks, a ski carrier is very compact and could carry different types of skis. If you want to carry more than one ski, then there are multipurpose ski holders that could mount more than one skis. One of the most significant advantages of this type of ski rack is that it could be used to mount or carry other items like fishing rods, shovels, ropes, luggage, etc.
- A clamp-style ski rack is unlike a regular ski carrier, a clamp style ski rack is designed to offer the maximum protection to the ski. A clamp style ski rack is a ski carrier itself; however, it comes with clamps to firmly hold the ski to the frame. Apart from this, a clamp style ski rack could also carry snowboards or both ski and snowboard based on the size of the carrier. This type of ski rack could be attached to existing roof racks.
- Roof boxes – Most people assume that roof boxes are not a type of ski rack. This assumption is wrong, a roof box is a type of ski rack, and it could serve multiple purposes. Compared to other ski racks, roof racks are very efficient as they could help you carry ski’s, snowboards, and extra gear. One of the most significant advantages of roof boxes is that it could protect the ski from dust, dirt, and weather conditions. If you are planning a family ski trip, then a roof box could be the best option.
Type of ski rack based on mounting – There are different ski racks available on the market based on their design, in the same way, there are ski racks available on the market based on how they are mounted on the car. Here is everything you need to know.
- Crossbar mountable ski racks – This type of ski racks are designed in such a way that it could be attached to the existing crossbars of your car. If compared to other ski racks, this one is simple and easy to use. Every crossbar mounts ski racks would come with universal mounting hardware that can help you attach the frame to the crossbars. It does not matter what the shape of the crossbar is, round, square, factory, or aerodynamic, universal mounting hardware can serve the purpose.
- Side rail mountable ski racks – Not all cars come with crossbars, and in such circumstances, a side rail mountable ski rack could come handy. This ski rack could help you save some cash as you do not have to purchase and fix crossbars. However, this type of ski rack has a disadvantage, side rail mountable ski racks are designed for specific cars, and therefore, it is not universal and cannot be used for different vehicles. As of today, this type of ski rack is not available for all car models.
- Hitch mounted ski racks – This type of ski rack is designed for vehicles without roof mounts. If your car does not have a roof mount, we recommend that you go for hitch mounted ski racks. In such ski racks, the Rack is installed on your vehicle’s hitch, and the skis are organized vertically using rubberized clamps. However, ski’s organized by this type of ski rack tend to get very dirty; hence this type of ski rack is decidedly less popular.
Once you have read the facts mentioned above, you should know that none of the factors should be neglected. Considering these facts could help you save money and also get an efficient ski rack.
When it comes to wall mountable ski racks, the things that you should consider is limited to facts mentioned below. Since a wall-mountable ski rack is permanently fixed on the wall, you do not have to worry about those complicated things mentioned above.
Capacity – The capacity of a ski rack refers to the number of skis it could organize and the total weight it could handle. There are different types of ski racks available on the market today; each model of ski rack could come with the same capacity or different capacity. You must select a ski rack based on your requirement. Remember, the market is diverse; if you dig deep, you will find the perfect ski rack.
Strength and durability – Unlike other types of racks, a ski rack should come with utmost strength and durability, there are several reasons for such a demand. A ski rack is commonly exposed to all weather conditions; if the quality of ski rack is poor, it could directly or indirectly damage your ski. When it comes to strength, the most important thing you should know is that some ski racks come made of heavy materials, which, in turn, could put a lot of stress on your vehicle roof or your host room wall. Therefore, you mustn’t assume that the weight of the ski rack has something to do with strength. There are lightweight ski racks that are comparatively more durable than heavyweight ski racks. An aluminum ski rack is the best option as they are lightweight, and at the same time, they are durable.
Ease of assembly – A ski rack could come designed in different ways, making each ski rack easy or challenging. You must check the specifications carefully and consider purchasing a ski rack based on installation ease.
All metal or alloy ski racks – The market today is diverse, and there are ski racks made of different materials, some of them come with a part made of metal and the remaining parts made of fiber, plastic or some other stuff. We recommend that you neglect such products and go for a ski rack made of metal only and nothing else.
Aerodynamics – This factor has to be considered, only if you are planning to purchase a vehicle roof mountable ski rack. Apart from a hitch-mounted ski rack, all the other types of ski racks are attached to the rooftop; therefore, if the ski rack does not have an aerodynamic design, then it could make an annoying sound while the vehicle moves. Consequently, you must purchase a ski rack based on the aerodynamics.
Warranty – Not all ski racks come with a warranty, and it is vital that you search the market clearly and then purchase a ski rack with a good warranty.
Now, based on the factors mentioned above, select an appropriate ski rack. Remember, if you end up purchasing a poor ski rack, it could destroy the roof of your vehicle and also damage your ski.
Ski Rack Frequently Asked Questions
How to Mount Crossbar Mountable Ski Racks on My Car?
Since crossbars come with universal mountings, you can easily mount ski racks on your car no matter whether they are in square, round, aerodynamic, or factory shape. Further, the modern ski racks support the T-slots of aerodynamic crossbars for ease of installation. So, if you have crossbars installed on your cars, then you can easily carry your skis with you.
How Many Skis Can Be Carried in A Ski Rack?
It depends on the capacity of the ski rack and the size of the ski that you use. Some ski racks are capable of carrying up to four pairs of skis, while some others can carry up to six pairs of skis. However, this number can vary because skis come in different widths. So, while buying a ski rack, you need to keep this point in mind.
Can I Place Two Ski Racks Closely?
Yes, you can mount the racks closely to reduce the space between the racks. This depends on the skis that you have stored in the rack. However, you can follow the mounting instructions of the manufacturer to mount the racks properly.
How Do I Increase the Lifespan of My Ski Rack?
Everybody wants to use the ski racks efficiently for a long time. So, it is important to take care of the racks during everyday use. You can check the rack in a certain interval to make sure that there is no damage. Also, in the case of free-standing ski racks, you need to ensure that the feet are not touching the ground to keep them safe from moisture. To keep them safe, you can use some landscaping blocks or other items under the feet. This way, you can make your ski racks last longer.
Is It Safe to Place My Ski Rack on The Ground?
No, if you do this, then your ski rack may come in contact with moisture and start to damage. But if there is any wood surface, then you can mount the racks on it. Always you need to keep them away from moisture and snow to keep them safe.
Can Ski Racks Be Used for Storing Other Items?
Yes, apart from storing the skis, you can use the ski racks for storing skateboards, snowboards, and long boards. This way, ski racks are an efficient product to use at home.
Can I Use Ski Racks for Storing Skis Outdoors?
Yes, you can look for waterproof ski racks to use them outdoors. But you need to take care of the rack to let it last for a long time.
Do Ski Racks Come Assembled?
No, ski racks are usually not assembled when they arrive. You need to assemble them after purchasing to use them. Since they come with the required items for assembling, you can perform the installation task easily. Further, some brands also provide assembling instructions to let you install them properly. Therefore, you no need to worry about the assembling of the ski racks while buying them.
The process of selecting and purchasing a ski rack from a market as diverse as today’s is not an easy task. However, each product listed above were selected based on quality and features. Consider purchasing any one of them, and you will not regret it.