Motorhomes and RVs are a great way to travel the country. You don’t have to worry about finding hotels, and you can get a healthy home-cooked meal anywhere. It is more like traveling along with your home. The best thing about the RV is that you don’t have to worry about taking your stuff with you. However, another problem may be carrying a Kayak or a bike with your RV. The kayak roof racks available in the market for an RV are expensive, and we feel that they don’t offer an excellent value for money. The better thing to do is build a kayak rack for an RV, as this can help you carry Kayak, and you can build your rack at a low price. In this article, we will tell you how you can build a kayak for an RV. Check out the details below.
Things You Would Need To Build A Kayak Rack For An RV
Let us now look at the stuff you would need to build a kayak rack for an RV. Check out the items below, and they can be procured easily from the market.
- Bumper Sleeve
- 2” x 2” Steel Angle Iron – 6 Feet
- 2 Units 2” x 6” Wood Board – 6 Feet 4 Inches Long
- Kayak Pads
- 3/4” PVC Tubing
- 2” x 12” Wooden Boards
- Padding material
- For Mounting
- 2 Unit – 3/8” x 4” x 7” Shackle Bolts
- ¾” PVC Fitting
- ¾” PVC Pipe
- ¾” EMT Steel pipe
- Spring Pin
- Camper Back Wall Attach Bar
- 1” Steel Angle – 6 Feet Long
- Bike Rack Stanchions (Optional)
Read Also – How To Use A Kayak Roof Rack Properly
How to Build a Kayak Rack for an RV?
Here are the steps you need to follow to build a kayak rack for an RV. Check them out below.
- Start by making the bumper sleeve. To make it, you need to glue and bolt the boards in the L shape. You need to attach a steel angle to it on one side, which will be used for mounting the rack.
- Make the kayak pad using PVC tubing, a wooden board, and padding material. This should be designed to make a rectangular mounting system with tubing and a wooden board as the base. Add padding on the PVC tubing.
- The Kayak pads should be glued and bolted to the bumper sleeve, and they should be arranged in such a way that the back of the Kayak Pads is extended under the bumper.
- You can attach two additional wooden boards to the Bumper sleeves with bike mount assembly, which can help you mount the bikes.
- Now drill five holes on the back of the RV and mount the camper back wall attach bar. Attach the bike racks, and additional loops to the back wall attach bar. You must also add a PVC pipe with padding for insulation.
- Add a Kayak Connection hold-down bar that can be made using the PVC. This will be used for mounting and securing the Kayak.
- You need to assemble all these components and mount the kayak rack on the RV.
This is the easiest way to build your Kayak Rack for the RV. The best part is that for this assembly, you won’t need any wheels or a full rack module. You can make this type of rack in the most compact way possible, and it will make it easy for you to carry the Kayak. These DIY kayak racks can also be modified to carry the bikes, and hence they offer dual purposes. Once you make a DIY Kayak Rack, do share the pics with the other readers in our community and us.